Last updated: November 2020
Your Password and Responsibility
As part of our registration process, you will be required to select a password. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any password you use to access this website and agree that we will have no obligations regarding your password. Gold Lotus is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement. Gold Lotus may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 22nd May 2018.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
• name - that which you provide on the "Subscribe to Mailing List" popup on our website.
• contact information including email address - that which you provide on the "Subscribe to Mailing List" popup on our website.
• other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers - from any mailouts we have sent asking for your opinions on our products / projects.
Information relating to students and teachers who use our educational content
Note that we never take the names orcontact details of individual students in schools who may be testing our content. Only the initials of individuals are taken by us as a way of providing them the correct content for class. Email addresses, if needed, will be "artificial" in the sense that we will create a random email in the Teachable learning platform we have to connect with the aforementioned initials. This email address has aboslutely no connection to the real students, it is simply a way of creating an individual student profile on our platform so everyone can use our VR content.
If in any particular circumstance, we deem it necessary to obtain the students' name and/or email address we will send an explicitly worded email to the teacher who will be required to obtain the permission from the parents of those students. As of today, 22nd May 2018, this has never been something we have done but any updates to this will be shown on this page in future if the situation arises. The parents may be contacted individually and directly in such cases to ensure that the teacher has indeed obtained their permission, as a way of us ensuring absolute transparency and trust with the content we provide and the relationships we foster with honest educators and professionals.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
• Internal record keeping - to ensure that we are aware of who is able to access particular content (i.e., if someone pays for / is entitled to a particular number of VR learning experiences we make sure we provide access to the right people)
• We may use the information to improve our products and services - as an educational technology collaborative project, feedback from teachers and students is fundamental to the successful development of our content. As a result, any information provided to us of this nature will be kept in our email folders relating to that project.
• We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting - using the email address which you have provided either through our engagement with you as someone who is using our content in the classroom or at home, or as someone who provided their email address and name on the "Subscribe to our Mailing List" popup on our website.
• From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests - as with the previous points, this information will only ever have been provided to us by you in a purely conscious manner (i.e., through the "Subscribe to our Mailing List" form on our website or through our engagement with you in your capacity as a learner or teacher of English or other foreign languages to help us improve our content for educational benefit).
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email contact [at] goldlotus [dot] co.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.